Matthew Keys, the Reuters social media editor who was indicted on Thursday for allegedly collaborating with hacking group Anonymous, responded to his newfound fame by --what else?--taking to Twitter.
The Justice Department announced that it was pursuing charges against Keys that could land him in prison for up to 25 years. The DOJ said that Keys, a former Tribune company employee, helped Anonymous hack into the website of the Los Angeles Times in 2010.
Keys did not address the merits of the charges, but he assured his over 24,000 followers that he was "fine."
"I found out the same way most of you did: From Twitter," he continued. "Tonight I'm going to take a break. Tomorrow, business as usual."
It seems, though, that Keys' time at Reuters is done, at least temporarily. An anonymous employee told the wire service that Keys' "work station was being dismantled and that his security pass had been deactivated." A spokesman said that "any legal violations, or failures to comply with the company's own strict set of principles and standards, can result in disciplinary action."
UPDATE: Keys was later suspended with pay from Reuters, HuffPost's Gerry Smith reported.