WASHINGTON -- Eight additional Guantanamo detainees have been recognized as hunger strikers since Tuesday, bringing the total count to 92, a military spokesman said Wednesday.
Seventeen of the detainees are being force-fed and two of them are in the hospital with non-life threatening conditions, Lt. Col. Sam House said in an email from the remote naval base. Just 43 hunger strikers were recognized before officials raided Camp Six earlier this month and forced detainees into single cells.
The military's Muslim advisor at Guantanamo told reporters during a visit last week that he believes more than one of the detainees will die before the hunger strike is over. The military has sent additional medical personnel down to Guantanamo to deal with the hunger strike.
Guantanamo currently holds 166 detainees, many of whom the government has said it would hold indefinitely without trial. Just a handful of the detainees have ever been charged.