A 16-year-old accused of leaving a pipe bomb-like device at Lafayette's Centaurus High School last week will be charged as an adult for attempted murder and four other felonies.
Andrew de Bartolome, who The Huffington Post is now identifying because he's being charged as an adult, was said to have had a "long-term interest in explosive devices," by prosecutors on Friday, according to The Boulder Daily Camera.
"We're very concerned about the intent of this young man to cause harm," Deputy District Attorney Jenny McClintock told a judge on Friday. Prosecutors also said that evidence suggests that the teen may have had a larger plan and poses a "future threat."
In court, 9News reported that the public defender said that de Bartolome was adopted at 2-years-old into a loving family who did everything they could for him, that he has several friends and that he attends church.
The Boulder County teen faces felony counts of first-degree attempted murder extreme indifference, use of explosives, possession of an explosive or incendiary device (both Class 2 felonies), and two counts of felony menacing (a Class 5 felony).
Last week a teacher at Centaurus High found and removed what was thought to be a suspicious looking package left inside the school -- the package was later determined to be an active explosive device, The Associated Press reported. The school was evacuated and South Boulder Road was closed for several hours.
Lafayette Police Cmdr. Gene McCausey said that the device had a 9-volt battery and could have hurt people nearby had it exploded in the school.
The judge has ordered de Bartolome to be held on a $100,000 bond -- down from a suggested $750,000 bond -- and a six to 10 week theraputic wilderness camp in Utah.