Aaron Sorkin ran into a few problems while working on Season 2 of "The Newsroom."
The former "West Wing" mastermind revealed to The Hollywood Reporter that he spent a lot of time second-guessing his work this year due to the heavy amounts of criticism that came with Season 1.
"I doubt HBO's going to be happy with my telling you this, but I got off to a false start with Season 2," Sorkin admitted, explaining that the first three episodes -- two of which he had already shot -- would have proven structurally problematic for the remainder of the season. "With my hat in my hand, I went to HBO and said, 'Would it be all right if I started again? I know it's going to cost time and it's going to cost a lot of money,'" he continued. "Other networks would have said no."
The new and, Sorkin hopes, improved Season 2 is on its way to HBO next month with the promise that it will cover the 2012 election, Occupy Wall Street and more. Additionally, Sorkin said viewers won't have much of a problem following the storyline if they skipped Season 1.
"Anybody coming to it new is not going to have much trouble picking up what's going on," he said in a preview video.
Season 2 of "The Newsrooom" will premiere on Sun., July 14 at 10 p.m. ET on HBO.
Click through the character posters below for a sneak peek at Season 2.