A New Zealand woman was left speechless by making a simple mistake while sifting through her medicine cabinet.
A 64-year-old woman made the unfortunate mistake of thinking a container of super glue was medicated cream. Wiithin minutes she couldn't open her mouth, the Otago Daily Times reports.
The patient, who sought anonymity from the media, was fumbling in the dark for a balm to apply to a cold sore late Thursday night, the Telegraph reported.
The super glue and cream were kept in the same tray in her cupboard, the Independent reported.
She couldn't get a whiff of the ointment, because her sense of smell was muddled by a cold. The next thing she knew, she was in bed and her lips were sealed tightly.
When she called the emergency services number, she couldn't even get a word in edgewise with the operator.
Senior Sergeant Steve Aitken said the woman "sounded gagged or possibly had a medical condition," according to the New Zealand Herald. "She could only grunt."
The glue was removed with paraffin oil at a hospital in Dunedin, the Independent said.