While the word "basement" may make you think of a dark and dreary cellar, there's no reason not to reclaim this space and use the extra square footage to design fabulous living areas. And some people take these renovations to the next level and design awesome basements that are, in some cases, more chic and stylish than our main rooms.
From home bars to comfy theaters to fun game rooms, scroll through these eight examples that we definitely wouldn't mind spending our free time in.
1. Brick walls and a paneled ceiling give this basement old-world charm.
2. The upscale furniture in this basement makes it look more like a chic hotel lobby.
3. This sunny yellow wall color makes this space feel bright and not at all like you're below ground.
4. This is a pretty grand staircase for a basement.
5. Any midcentury lover would think this airy basement is a dream.
6. The warm wood paneling and neutral tones make this a perfectly cozy home theater.
7. No one says a basement can't be a chic extension of your home.
8. We love the corrugated metal accent wall and painted black ceiling -- easy to do, yet eye-catching.
Like the idea of a home bar? Scroll through to see homes with speakeasies.
Houses With Speakeasies
Have something to say? Check out HuffPost Home on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr and Instagram.
Do you have a home story idea or tip? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. (PR pitches sent to this address will be ignored.)