When a royal puts on a dress, she isn't just wearing a garment, she's cementing a fashion moment in history. Whether the noble is attending a routine event or exchanging wedding vows in front of millions of people, the world waits with bated breath to see the frock she'll choose for the occasion.
But not all sartorial moments are created equal. Here, we've rounded up 9 dresses worn by royals that we just can't forget.
1. Kate Middleton's First Post-Birth Dress
The bespoke garment by Jenny Packham crashed the website upon its big reveal... and it wasn't even available for purchase.
2. Princess Victoria of Sweden's Engagement Announcement Dress
The shiny sheath was the perfect choice to tell the world she would marry a "commoner."
3. Princess Diana's "Revenge Dress"
We love a dress with a good story. Eat your heart out, Prince Charles.
4. Princess Charlene's Head-Turning Pink
Mere days after New York Times' Cathy Horyn called her style a "flat pancake," Char showed the fashion critic what's up.
5. Princess Grace of Monaco's Wedding Dress
That thing is still inspiring fellow royals.
6. Queen Maxima's Inauguration Dress
The people love her for her grandeur, and boy did she deliver.
7. Princess Stephanie and Princess Caroline of Monaco's Early '90s Minis
These sisters were the definition of cool.
8. Princess Mary of Denmark's Pretty Peplum
There's a reason she beat out Kate for the "world's most stylish royal" title.
9. Queen Elizabeth II's Coronation Gown
When else are orbs and sceptres appropriate accessories?
Gotta love royals who are into fashion: