In just under two weeks, the "How I Met Your Mother" Season 9 premiere will air on CBS, kicking off the final season of the long-running comedy. The "Mother" has been revealed and Barney's (Neil Patrick Harris) wedding to Robin (Cobie Smulders) is underway.
Can't wait two weeks? You're in luck. HuffPost TV got a sneak preview of the heartfelt hour-long debut and to tide fans over, we're sharing 15 hints about what you can expect from the show's return, without spoiling any of the big stuff.
Check out the new "Mother"-heavy promo above, then read on for our teases from the two-part premiere episodes, titled "The Locket" and "Coming Back."
- The premiere kicks off 55 hours before the wedding, and in addition to the remaining slaps that Marshall (Jason Segel) still has to bestow upon Barney, there's also plenty of time for Lily (Alyson Hannigan) to get in more than one tackle over the course of the weekend.
- You might be surprised to learn how far Ted (Josh Radnor) is prepared to go in order to return Robin's locket. Far enough to involve air travel, perhaps.
- Marshall's eventful journey to the wedding begins with a potentially damning Facebook photo, and involves a mode of transportation that would give Al Gore a heart attack.
- Wayne Brady performs both parts of the Dolly Parton/Kenny Rogers duet "Islands in the Stream," because Wayne Brady rocks.
- Lily's rising stress level leads her to become wholly dependent on a hotel employee called Linus who has very quick reflexes.
- We'll take a trip back to Moscow in 1807 to learn the surprising origins of the Stinson Curse -- which includes Russian accents, a shirtless carriage driver and an awesome guitar solo.
- Two of our characters do something very disturbing with an erotic cake.
- Roger Bart plays the world's most sympathetic desk clerk, and poor Ted is the focus of his "pity."
- As the newly released promo (above) proves, Lily is the first member of the gang to meet the still-unnamed mother. Although their encounter involves physical violence and "sumbitch" cookies, Cristin Milioti certainly won our hearts in her first extended appearance.
- Prepare to hear a very different version of the "Bang Bang" song.
- Robin and Barney realize that they've invited a whole set of wild cards to the wedding, including many of Robin's "Canuckin' nuts" Canadian relatives. If someone's going to ruin the nuptials, though, our bet is on the ring bear.
- Barney amends his most Legendary catchphrase in honor of the wedding, and we think it's even better than before.
- At Comic-Con, creator Craig Thomas told us that there was a "Game of Thrones" reference in the premiere, and we're glad to say it made the cut, because it's hilarious, and says a lot about Barney's personality.
- The Mother and Ted have way more in common than we originally realized. Cristin Milioti wasn't kidding when she called her character "nerdy."
- Bonus Scoop: The entirety of Season 9 has been compared to the "Seinfeld" series finale, which brought back countless guest stars from prior seasons. As previously announced, expect to see plenty of Brady, along with John Lithgow and Frances Conroy as Barney's parents, plus many more from the show's past.
The hourlong "How I Met Your Mother" Season 9 premiere debuts Mon., Sept. 23 at 8 p.m. on CBS.