Quentin Tarantino, via The Quentin Tarantino Archives, has released his list of the best movies released thus far in 2013. The collection of Tarantino's favorites, in alphabetical order:
- "Afternoon Delight" (dir. Jill Soloway)
- "Before Midnight" (dir. Richard Linklater)
- "Blue Jasmine" (dir. Woody Allen)
- "The Conjuring" (dir. James Wan)
- "Drinking Buddies" (dir. Joe Swanberg)
- "Frances Ha" (dir. Noah Baumbach)
- "Gravity" (dir. Alfonso Cuarón)
- "Kick Ass 2" (dir. Jeff Wadlow)
- "The Lone Ranger" (dir. Gore Verbinski)
- "This Is The End" (dirs. Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg)
Those surprised at the inclusion of films like "Kick-Ass 2" and "The Lone Ranger," two critically reviled and audience-ignored flops from this past summer, probably never took note of past Tarantino lists, which have often included movies of many colors and stripes. In 2010, for instance, he listed the first "Kick-Ass" film among his favorites (also on that year's list, Baumbach's first Greta Gerwig feature, "Greenberg"). In 2011, "The Three Musketeers" made the cut (Tarantino's Christoph Waltz fandom apparently knows no bounds).
Tarantino's list made it back to at least one filmmaker cited: "Drinking Buddies" director Joe Swanberg.
Is this real? http://t.co/xHAUPX9WKF
— Joe Swanberg (@joe_swanberg) October 5, 2013