11/23/2013 02:41 pm ET Updated Feb 02, 2016

Tarence Mitchell, Teen Football Captain, Accused Of Fatally Stabbing 27-Year-Old Male Lover

Teen football captain Tarence Mitchell was arrested in Connecticut this week following the death of a 27-year-old Bloomfield man.

The 18-year-old is accused of fatally stabbing Ronald Taylor, Jr., who he had a sexual relationship with, court documents reveal. According to WFSB, police say Taylor was stabbed five times in the back with a steak knife outside Mitchell's home Thursday night.

Though Mitchell initially told police that the two were attacked by a pair of hooded men, he later relented and confessed to police that he perpetrated the crime. He has since been charged with murder.

According to The Hartford Courant, Mitchell revealed to police that he had met Taylor two years ago through his stepmother and frequently visited his house, where Taylor supplied the teen with alcohol and marijuana. While Mitchell said he was interested in being friends, he told police Taylor wanted a different kind of relationship.

Mitchell told police that he was trying to distance himself from Taylor, and Taylor once posted a photo of Mitchell on Facebook with the caption "Bloomfield gay football player." Though the photo was taken down, Mitchell told authorities that Taylor had threatened to repost it if Mitchell tried to disassociate himself again.

On Thursday, Taylor texted Mitchell, allegedly telling the teen that he was coming over and it "wasn't going to end well," NBC Connecticut reports.

Mitchell told police he felt threatened and armed himself with a knife. He allegedly stabbed Taylor after the 27-year-old punched him in the face. Police say Taylor tried to run away, but Mitchell chased him down and delivered the fatal stabbings. After police responded, Taylor was rushed to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Mitchell, who has no previous arrests, is currently being held on $1 million bond. He is due back in court in early December.