One night in 2012, alone in his dorm room at Princeton University, Dan downed 20 Trazodone, his prescribed antidepressant. He had recently switched medication and was experiencing rapid mood swings; a fight with his girlfriend and a tense email exchange with a friend led him to overdose, which Dan says he knew was "ridiculous" even as he swallowed the pills.
Dan tried to make himself throw up the Trazodone but couldn't, so he went to Princeton's health center. They sent him to a nearby hospital, where doctors determined he didn't pose an imminent risk of harm to himself or others but kept him for three days to monitor his health. As Dan prepared to leave the hospital to attend a class, the director of student life left a voicemail message on his mother's cell phone: Dan had been evicted from his dorm room, banned from attending classes, and was prohibited from setting foot on campus.