Nothing quite compares to the power of a photograph to communicate the goings on in the world. Ranging from the serious to the silly, these photos offer peeks into what happened around the globe this week.
1. Nepalese school children attempt to set a new world record for the largest tree hug for World Environment Day in Gokarna village, near Kathmandu on June 5, 2014.
(PRAKASH MATHEMA/AFP/Getty Images)
2. Sikh activists clash with guards at the Golden Temple in Amritsar, on June 6, 2014, the 30th anniversary of a controversial military raid on the Indian holy site.
(NARINDER NANU/AFP/Getty Images)
3. People wearing British WWII uniforms stand in front of British flags during a D-Day ceremony on June 6, 2014 in Asnelles, France.
(JOEL SAGET/AFP/Getty Images)
4. People attend a candlelight vigil in Hong Kong to commemorate China's 1989 crackdown on Tiananmen Square protesters on June 4, 2014.
(PHILIPPE LOPEZ/AFP/Getty Images)
5. A protester stands in front of a barricade in the Gezi district of Istanbul, Turkey, on June 1, 2014.
(OZAN KOSE/AFP/Getty Images)
6. Afghan vendors unload watermelons from a truck at a fruit market in Jalalabad, the capital of eastern Nangarhar province, on June 5, 2014.
(Noorullah Shirzada/AFP/Getty Images)
7. Syrian soldiers celebrate the re-election of President Bashar Assad in Damascus on June 4, 2014.
(AP Photo/Dusan Vranic)
8. A supporter of Afghan presidential candidate Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai chants slogans at an election campaign rally near Kabul on June 4, 2014.
(SHAH MARAI/AFP/Getty Images)
9. Children attend a soccer class in the Mangueira slum of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on June 2, 2014.
(AP Photo/Leo Correa)
10. A picture taken with a smart-phone shows a sandstorm engulfing the Iranian capital Tehran on June 2, 2014.