We're just going to come right out and say it: Denim skirts need to become your new wardrobe staple.
Hear us out -- your favorite '90s trend can look polished without reminding you of your regrettable high school days. The item is versatile (celebrities have been rocking them in every style) and can easily be paired with almost anything in your closet. So whether you're brunching, Tindering or hitting the beach with friends, denim skirts make for perfect late summer outfits.
But if you're like us and already rid your closet of most things you wore back in the day, fear not, we did all your research for you. And don't worry about transitioning this look into fall, either. After all, nothing screams bad ass like motorcycle boots and dark denim.
Here are 11 ways to revisit the look this summer:
1. Make the denim skirt your new uniform by tucking in a patterned blouse. Don't be afraid to attempt tone-on-tone! The look will easily transition from day to night.
2. Opt for a maxi denim skirt with buttons up the front so you can look more leggy and less "Little House on the Prairie." The slit will alleviate the frumpiness factor and give the look an edgy spin.
3. Three words: Denim on denim. Spice up your Canadian tux with a skirt, just be sure to choose washes that are slightly off hue.
4. We often associate denim skirts with our youth so choose grown up accessories like a structured bag or cool sunnies.
5. Opt for a high-waisted midi skirt -- the classic silhouette can bring some formality to an otherwise casual outfit.
6. Keep things effortless in a flowy tee that balances out the length of a mini skirt.
7. Make it flirty! Look for a skirt with a twist. This one boasts multi-wash panels in an A-line silhouette.
8. Slip into a pencil skirt with a simple crop top and accessorize with a bold pop of color.
9. And finally: Because...Rihanna.