How do you know if you’re really ready for a successful relationship? You need to be able to truthfully say each of these statements:
- “I realize that it's not too late.”
- “It is reasonable for me to want a rewarding and fulfilling relationship.”
- “I am entitled to and deserve a high-quality, caring relationship.”
- “I have done a thorough “autopsy” on past relationships, and I have identified the ways in which I contaminated them.”
- “I have embraced values that will help me live with more integrity, honesty, compassion and enthusiasm, which will breathe life into my relationship and configure me for success. For example, I will have a spirit of acceptance with my partner and focus on his/her positive qualities.”
- “I have diagnosed and gotten real about the pain and problems in this relationship.”
- “I accept and acknowledge full ownership of my contribution to where this relationship is.”
- “I am committed to tapping into my core of consciousness.”
Only once each of these statements holds true for you are you ready to start implementing Dr. Phil’s formula for success in any relationship: The quality of a relationship is a function of the extent to which it is built on a solid underlying friendship and meets the needs of the two people involved.
Need Dr. Phil's help in your life? Share your story here.