Eight suspicious meatballs found in a California dog park on Saturday are being tested for poison.
Dog owners discovered the meatballs at A Place to Play, a dog park on West Third Street in Santa Rosa, the SF Gate reports.
Joe Sepulveda was walking his dog, Sire, when he found some of the rotting meat.
“[They were] hamburger meatballs -- raw meat with little green flecks, not like oregano but like pine nuts or something in them –- clearly tainted,” said Sepulveda, according to KTVU.
Brian Whipple, supervising animal control officer of Sonoma County Animal Services, told CBS San Francisco that the evidence was sent to the California Animal Health & Food Safety Laboratory at UC Davis.
“The meatballs are being tested at this time and could take up to a week for results to come back. Up to this point we have had no reports of animals being affected by this incident,” Whipple said.
Sadly, the Bay Area has a history of poison meatballs. In February, dog owners identified more than 30 meatballs hidden in shrubs and bushes. In another incident, two dogs were sent to the hospital after eating tainted meat planted near sidewalks.