If you're still putting on the same foundation you wore all summer long, please stop. Not only is it likely that your complexion has darkened thanks to the sun, but the texture of your skin is probably drier and duller because of the crisp, fall air.
While choosing face makeup that matches perfectly is an obvious part of updating your foundation for the season, selecting formulas that are right for your skincare needs should also be a priority. And to make a smooth transition from wearing barely anything during the warm-weather months, you'll want products that build coverage without looking caked on.
Not sure how to proceed? No need to panic! We've done the research for you. Here are six of the best fall foundations on the market.
1. Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra 24H. That gorgeous ad of Lupita Nyong'o looking flawless in this liquid foundation is the real deal. This makeup feels like a soft cashmere sweater against your skin and it dries down to a fine, matte finish that looks like your complexion but better. $45.50, Sephora.com
2. Koh Gen Do Maifanshi Moisture Foundation. Inside this tiny red tube is a sheer, creamy foundation that packs a whole lot of power. Made up of jojoba oil, squalane, vegetable collagen and lots of water, it keeps the face moisturized without causing irritation. Plus, light-reflecting powders help to minimize large pores and cover imperfections. $62, Sephora.com
3. MAC Cosmetics Face & Body Foundation. Professionals don't keep this cult favorite in their makeup kit just for the sake of pretty Instagram pictures. This MAC gem comes in an array of shades, can be used on very dry or oily skin types and is flexible enough to provide light to medium coverage. $27, MACcosmetics.com
4. Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation. If the price tag is giving you pause from considering this foundation, just know that it is worth every single penny. HuffPost Live makeup artist Kari Bauce suggests saving money by skipping the concealer and applying this lightweight formula where needed to create a natural, everyday makeup look. $62, SaksFifthAvenue.com
5. Jouer Matte Moisture Tint SPF 15. Perfect for makeup-wearers who prefer to use their fingers instead of brushes, this foundation delivers just the right amount of color and enough sun protection to complement the sunscreen you should have applied already. $38, Nordstrom.com
6. Dolce & Gabbana Perfect Reveal Lifting Foundation. This D&G foundation made its grand debut at makeup counters this month with flashy gold packaging and an anti-aging formula consisting of gold silk sericin (a protein derived from silkworms), Italian olive oil and vitamin B3 that works to minimize fine lines and wrinkles over time. $72, Nordstrom.com