For many, discovering an affair is the point of no return in a relationship. How can you trust your partner after he or she breaks that bond of intimacy in such a significant way?
But are there acts of betrayal more harmful to a relationship than infidelity? Some Redditors think so. On Thursday, those on the Ask Reddit board shared the one thing their significant other could do that would be more hurtful to them than having an affair. See some of the most interesting responses below.
1. "Giving up on the relationship for no reason. I'd rather he cheat than hear him say, 'Meh, I don't love you anymore.'"
2. "Confiding in another man before she came to me would hurt me more than cheating. (The exception would be her father.)"
3. "Ripping me off financially. Cheating (depending on context) just says, 'I wanted to get off and hoped I could get away with it.' Ripping me off says, 'I am willing to compromise your long-term well-being to better my own.'"
4. "Hiding a drug addiction or something else along those lines would be far worse than discovering an affair."
5. "Her telling me she doesn't want me as the father of her future children."
6. "Finding out she shared a particularly painful or vital secret of mine with someone, without my consent."
7. "Lying. Honest to God, if you get drunk and have sex with someone else, I'll be fine with it. It happens. I'd prefer it didn't, but it happens. You tell me about it? Cool. We'll figure it out. You lie about it? We're done. People dramatically underestimate the importance of brutal honesty in relationships."
8. "Using my children against me. I would not know how to handle that."
9. "Talking about me behind my back to my parents."
10. "Constantly lying. It's one thing to lie once, but if she goes years holding onto lies, then I find out all at once, it would hurt more than finding out she had an affair."
11. "Giving money to her family behind my back to help them out. I am the sole provider in our house and her family is not the hardest working people I know."
12. "Telling me that he doesn't like me as a person."