Imae credit: Ulf Svane
Recipe courtesy of Sweet Paul Magazine.
A rich and indulgent ice cream full of pistachio flavor and texture. If you want a smoother ice cream, blend the pistachio paste even finer.
4.6 oz pistachios, unsalted 1 cup whole milk
0.6 cup heavy cream 4 egg yolks
1⁄3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon Amaretto liqueur
The Day Before:
1. Slightly roast the pistachios in a pan.
2. Bring the milk and cream to boil.
3. Remove from heat and immediately
add the pistachios.
4. Cool down and let the pistachios
soak in the milk-cream mixture overnight in the fridge.
5. Remove the pistachios from the milk-cream mixture into a food processor and pulse on high speed until it turns into a smooth paste.
6. Bring the milk-cream mixture
7. Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl with an electric hand mixer until thick and fluffy.
8. As soon as the milk and cream are boiling, pour onto the eggs, stirring constantly with a whisk.
9. Pour the custard mixture back into the casserole and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it thickens. It should be around 181°F.
10. Cool the cream down in a water bath with ice cubes.
11. Stir in the pistachio paste and
turn the cream into ice cream in an ice cream machine.