T. Boone Pickens efforts to convince the political leadership to invest heavily in a fundamentally flawed energy concept continue to move apace.
Pickens' $10s (likely over $100 million now) of millions expended on advertising, web sites, and otherwise promote a superficially appealing concept:
- Build wind turbines
- Use wind electricity to displace gas-fired electricity (about 22 percent of the grid's power)
- Use that natural gas to replace imported oil in transportation
So simplistically appealing, with a clarity of purpose put forward by this old oil man in such a compelling manner.
The Pickens Plan has many problems, many flaws, but at the core the worst of all might best be referred to as the Peabody-Pickens Axis for Perpetuating Pollution.
When considering the Pickens Plan, the image that might strike most is wizened T Boone Pickens speaking simply and directly as wind turbines turn in the background. This old oil man speaking the praises of renewable energy. So refreshing, so appealing. Willing to say, directly, that "this is one problem that we can't drill our way out of." Are we surprised that prominent Democratic Party leaders have met with and, seemingly, embraced die-hard Republican Pickens with open arms?
The wind turbines might be the most striking image for most, but not me. A very simple pie chart provides, for me, the stark summary of The Pickens' Plan and why, fundamentally, T. Boone's concepts are so dangerous at their core. [NOTE: due to copyright concerns, image not provided her but can be found at The Pickens' Plan website.]
It is a very simple pie chart entitled "US sources of electrical generation" with four wedges
- Coal: 50%
- Nuclear: 20%
- Other: 8%
- And, a wedge pulled out: Natural Gas, 22%
Remember, the basic concept of the "Plan": use wind power to displace natural gas from the electrical grid and then use that natural gas to displace imported oil.
The 50 percent of electricity coming from coal-fired electricity remains untouched in Pickens' concept. Put aside the issues of the huge fiscal cost of putting in equipment for concentrated natural gas (CNG) transportation (and it is a high figure, both for vehicles and refueling stations) and the high opportunity costs that ensue from spending the money on CNG rather than on better long-term solutions. Put aside how natural gas is a fossil fuel, like oil, and we are simply shifting transportation from one limited in reserves and polluting fossil fuel to another limited in reserves and (albeit less) polluting fossil fuel. Put aside all the other uses for natural gas that have higher value than moving around SUVs (heating homes, making fertilizer, industrial processes). Putting aside all so many other issues, I return to that 50 percent.
Pickens says that Global Warming is secondary to him, but that adopting his plan will move the nation forward on the Global Warming agenda. That 50% puts the lie to his claims. We cannot make meaningful steps forward in mitigating climate change without radically cutting our (and convincing others to radically cut their) coal usage, mainly for electricity.
What T. Boone offers is an illusion of achieving progress, while lining his pocket (and his allies' pockets), while setting a path that would dig our hole(s) even deeper.
In the end, what does that 50% suggest about The Pickens Plan: that the hidden, strongest ally for The Pickens Plan might actually be the coal industry and coal industry giants like Peabody.
Thus, the Peabody-Pickens Axis for Perpetuating Pollution.
Brief selection of blogosphere discussions of The Pickens Plan
- The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: T Boone Pickens, 8/26, A Siegel
- Pickens" Plan vs Pickens' Problem, 8/21, A Siegel
- Picking at Pickens' Plan, 7/8, A Siegel
- The Big Green Tent, 8/24, A Siegel
- T. Boone Pickens Loves You and Wants to Use Your Credit Card, 8/30, JohnnyRook
- T Boone Pickens trying to pick Californians Pockets, 9/9, JohnnyRook
- T. Boone Pickens Fancy Sales Pitch, 8/27, Plutonium Page
- Is T Boone Pickens selling you shinola, or something else?, 8/26, ApolloGonzales
- Sarah Palin and Boone Pickens: Birds of a Feather, 10/7, Josh Nelson
- Memo to T. Boone Pickens: Your energy plan is half-baked, 7/8, Joe Romm, Climate Progress (former Assistant Secretary Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy, DOE)
- Pickens learns the hard truth: drill-only GOP hates alternative energy, 9/23, Joe Romm
- Why T. Boone Pickens' 'Clean Energy' Plan is a Ponzi Scheme, 8/21, Scott Thill
- Pickens" Natural Gas Plan Makes No Sense and will never happen, 9/26, Earl Killian
- Mr Pickens Half-Right Plan, 7/25, Bill Becker, Presidential Climate Action Plan
- Pickens continues hard sell with blogger call, 10/07, A Siegel
- Questions to ponder: Pelosi investing in Pickens, 11/08, A Siegel
- For the Pickens Plan to Work, People Have to Misunderstand It, 11 Jan 09, Josh Nelson, The Seminal
- T. Boone Pickens Thinks Obama is a Fool, 12 Jan 09, The Choice is Yours