Love. We write about it, sing about it, make movies about it and even dedicate an entire day to it. But how do you know if you are truly in love? Do you simply want to be in love because it seems easier to face the world as a duo?
In recognition of Valentines Day, here are five signs that you are truly in love:
5. Traits that would normally make you squeamish you now find adorable or endearing,
e.g., hairy back, strange moles, chewing with mouth open, etc.
4. Strange smells and sounds coming out of your partner are not deal breakers.
3. Your partner looks beautiful first thing in the morning. No makeup or showers needed.
2. You are comfortable saying and doing almost anything without fear of being dumped.
1. You can't imagine life without your partner.
"One day, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else." -- Unknown
This quote inspired me to write this blog today. It's spreading like Nutella on gluten-free toast (one of my true loves). It has about half a million "likes" on Facebook and more than 3 million Google search hits.
It took me more than 30 years and countless painstaking break ups to finally let go of my relationship fantasy. I had always believed a Josh Duhamel look-a-like with Richard Branson's bank account would carry me over the threshold. That fantasy died once I hit 34 and wrinkles moved in, instead of Mr. Duhamel.
For the first time in my life, I erased the image of my "perfect man" and saw my best friend clearly. He was as loveable as Shrek and resembled a taller version of Daniel Craig. He loved me unconditionally, made me feel beautiful and didn't care if I gobbled up an entire Costco-sized jar of Nutella in an hour. He wasn't perfect, but he was perfect for me.
I fell in love, because I let go.
For more on love, click here.
For more by Alana Hurov, click here.