I'm admittedly a personal growth junkie. I've read all the books, and I regularly listen to teleseminars and webinars that teach me how to live meaningfully and mindfully, how to truly tap into the power of my authentic being, how to meditate, how to actualize my potential...you get the idea.
It's a rare occasion when I have a stop-traffic moment amidst all this learning. But that's what I had when I heard Dr. Joe Dispenza on Lisa Garr's The Aware Show one day last year. I was driving to Napa from my home in San Francisco to spend the day with my mom (and business partner) when Dr. Joe's interview came on.
Dr. Joe was talking about the law of attraction -- a universal principle I'm intimately familiar with, and of which I'm a big fan and subscriber. (If you're not familiar with it, it's essentially the idea that what you think about, you bring about -- your life is a true manifestation of your thoughts and that like attracts like).
But Dr. Joe was taking the idea way farther. And he was backing it with hard scientific data. He used quantum physics and neuroscience -- real facts and figures -- to explain a principle that I've always hoped was true. And here was Dr. Joe, telling me why it was just that.
Dr. Joe's work couldn't have come at a better time for me. I was 30 and suffering from depression for the first time in my life. It was a short bout -- only a few months -- but it felt like a hole I couldn't dig out myself out of alone. After listening to the teleseminar, I immediately got Dr. Joe's workshop and book -- and in weeks had lifted out of the foggy glum that had been my reality for the past few months.
That's why I have to share the best of what I've learned here, (and included Dr. Joe on my online interview series with the top personal growth and wellness experts that changed my life -- this stuff is truly transformative.
You actually have the power to be and to feel however you want. And anyone that has a vision for who they want to be and their life should be doing this. Every day.
Here's how it works, in a super abbreviated nutshell:
• Your brain is a record of the past and a reflection of your external environment.
• You basically do the same thing every day -- in essentially the same way (think of your routine: you brush your teeth the same way, you have your auto-pilot shower routine, take the same route to work, etc). This is your reality. You produce the same experiences that create the same emotions. You see the same people that push the same emotional buttons. You are thinking the same thoughts, performing the same actions, and living by the same emotions.
• You process 60-70,000 thoughts per day. And a whopping 90% of these are the same as the day before.
• The same thoughts will lead to the same choices. The same choices will create the same behaviors. The same behaviors will produce the same experiences, which will create the same emotions, and then -- back to square one -- drive the same thoughts.
• The good news is that you can change the pattern.
• But to change you need to think greater than your environment, greater than the circumstances of your life.
Dr. Joe explains how you can do this during our conversation on the Borrowed Wisdom World Summit (and offers a pretty amazing discount for the workshops and meditations that have changed my life).
Of course, it's easy to just continue being who we are, to stay put in the familiar. And be warned: Changing your thoughts feels like a full time job in the beginning. I remember when I first started, I was literally stopping and starting over and over and over again -- all day long, thoughts I didn't want to think anymore replaced by thoughts I did want to think. Every time I had a thought I didn't want, I put up a bright red STOP sign. And I saw it nearly all day. But before I knew it, I was feeling better than ever -- I had retrained my brain to repeat the good, happy, optimistic thoughts, and they were, in turn, triggering good, healthy, happy emotions, behaviors, and habits -- and of course, unexpectedly wonderful experiences (new love, new career...I've made a lot happen thanks to Dr. Joe's teaching).
I'm telling you, this works.
You can register to listen for free here. His interview airs on Tuesday Nov 18th).
In NYC and want some holiday inspiration and fun? On Dec 9th, Alexis's company, Elevate Gen Y, is hosting a free Gifting and Gratitude event. It's a great place to find holiday gifts by women-focused brands that not only create amazing products but also do good in the world, and get some fun swag, snack, drink...and One Medical Group is giving away 3 free months of membership to all attendees! Plus a gratitude ritual by Barbara Bizou, a Life Strategy Coach.