In celebration of Earth Day, here is a list of 10 planet friendly travel tips so you can be green while jetsetting.
10. Take a "Volunteer-cation". Help dig a well in a region that needs clean water or opt in to a hotel's volunteer program during your holiday. For example, you can help restore coral reefs at Hufvafen Fushi in the Maldives or participate in a marine biology program at Gayana Eco Resort off the Coast of Borneo. For guidance on different programs, check out The International Volunteer Program Association.
9. Use that towel more than once. A daily average of 30 gallons of water is used per guest room for laundry, so minimize water usage by reusing linens.
8. Shut off the tap while you're brushing your teeth (it could save up to 10 gallons of water a day).
7. Flick off - The lights, television and air conditioning don't need to be on when you're not in the room, so turn it off when you're off exploring.
6. Stay at an eco-resort. From China's first carbon neutral hotel, URBN Hotel Shanghai to Adrère Amellal in Egypt that is made completely of mud and salt brick, there are many hotels that are environmentally conscious to choose from.
5. Boil water to reduce your need for bottled water. Tip: Boiling water vigorously for 1 minute kills common water borne pathogens. Allow it to cool to room temperature, then add a pinch of salt per liter to improve the taste.
4. Drink and dine local. Having Bordeaux in Bordeaux and Calabrese olives in Calabria means the bottle and fruit didn't have far to travel.
3. Recharge and reuse. Choose rechargeable power sources for your tech gadgets, so fewer batteries end up in land-fills.
1. Bathe together with your beloved on your romantic sojourns to reduce water consumption to half.