It seems that couples are everywhere in the summer months. Couples are walking in parks, in your local movie theater, and in your neighborhood restaurants. Most notably, couples are walking hand-in-hand from wedding ceremonies around the world. My own wedding anniversary is this month. On June 29, Donna and I marked 59 years together. You can't be married as long as we have without developing some sure-fire ways to the keep the love alive. I thought I'd share a few ways that work for us:
1. Hold hands. There's nothing wrong with walking around holding hands. When I go visit hotels and bring Donna, we hold hands as we walk around.
2. Set aside a date night every week.
3. Try to be home for dinner every night that you can.
4. Go on vacations together.
5. Go to church together.
6. Communicate, communicate, communicate.
7. Always listen, and listen intently.
8. Have some outside hobbies. I love to read mystery novels, and Donna loves to watch the cop shows on TV, like CSI, while she does her needlepoint.
9. Ask yourself "why" before saying something hurtful or controversial.
10. Always be there for each other.
You've heard the expression that behind every successful businessperson is a strong spouse. I believe this is true. Donna's advice and love have guided me through many tough spots. I'm always learning from her, and I continue to love her even more every year. So, go out, talk and hold hands and keep that marriage strong. It's worked for me and it will work for you.
I'm Bill Marriott and thanks for helping me keep Marriott on the move.
This post first appeared on www.MarriottOnTheMove.com.