Can't make heads or tails of health care reform? You're not alone -- a recent poll by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that a majority of Americans are confused about the new health care law and don't know enough about the details of the law to understand how it will affect them.
That's why we at Planned Parenthood enlisted one of our good friends, the magnificent actress Julianne Moore, to help explain how health care reform affects women. In less than two minutes, Ms. Moore, in her voice-over to our video, explains many of the positive benefits women can expect under the new law.
Check it out, and pass it on to all the women in your life, including your mother! After all, health care reform is the best Mother's Day gift ever.
Here's what the new law will do for women:
- Extend health care coverage to tens of millions of women and families who currently don't have insurance.
- Guarantee affordable access to lifesaving screenings for breast and cervical cancer.
- Stop the discriminatory practice of charging women more than men for health insurance.
- End the practice of denying insurance coverage because of pre-existing conditions, including breast cancer and pregnancy.
- Significantly increase access to reproductive health care, including family planning.
- Provide 75 million dollars for sex education and teen pregnancy prevention.
And here's what the new law won't do for women: it includes unacceptable new restrictions on private health insurance coverage for abortion. These restrictions won't go into effect until 2014, and Planned Parenthood is working to fix these restrictions before they can harm women.