05/14/2012 10:42 am ET Updated Feb 02, 2016

Why Obama and Gay Marriage Is What America Is All About

Yes on gay marriage.

Yes on letting them try what hasn't worked for so many heterosexual couples.

I'd like to see if the gay community could actually make this institution work.

We've got a 60 percent divorce rate in the United States. Of the other 40 percent that are still married, what percentage do you think are actually happy?

Maybe 10 percent.

We have lost something that is supposed to be so beautiful in this world: marriage.

I know -- I'm a statistic. I've been divorced. In fact, I'm actually going through one right now.

I am 100% part of the statistics. My marriage didn't work.

Now I know a lot of you are thinking, "OMG, this guy is a relationship expert, and even he can't make his own relationship work!"

You're right, I couldn't make this relationship work. And being a relationship expert, I took a look at my life and I thought, "Your best relationship is the relationship you have with yourself. If you're with somebody that doesn't add to your happiness, then there's no reason to be with them, to fight them, or to hope that they're going to change."

So I changed.

But let's go back to the topic at hand -- the topic that President Obama is going to address now, one that he's going to have to talk about during this election.

Gay marriage.

I would love to see gay marriage. I believe that if two people love each other enough, there should be no law that says that they should not be together in a loving, committed, legal relationship.

I've got a ton of gay friends. They have kids. They're great parents.

Sure, it's not traditional to have two moms or two dads, but that's life. Look at all the different families that are out there. Look at all the kids that come from broken homes. Look at all the kids that have a mother that doesn't talk to them or a father that doesn't play with them.

If I were a kid, I'd rather have two loving people raise me, regardless of their gender. I think it would be wonderful. Two people that love me are better than two people that hate each other, and feel burdened by having me.

We have no right as a culture to deny anybody the right to marriage in this country, no right at all. I don't care what the Bible says; I don't care what the preacher says; I don't care about any of that stuff.

We have no right to deny legal love.

Lesbians should not be hiding. Gay men should not be running to different states to live so they can get their marriage legal. A woman marrying a woman and a man marrying a man should have every legal right from the tax benefits to the adoption process to the insurance benefits--everything.

It's time that we as a country grew up. It's 2012!

We like to think we're a leader. I think the only time we ever lead is when there's a war.

Let's go into Afghanistan and fight.

Let's go to Iraq and blow people up.

Hey America, why don't we become the culture that does something different as a society. Why can't we let the history books say that in America during the 2012 elections, gay marriage became a real issue?

Why don't we legalize gay marriage so the rest of the world looks at us as progressive thinkers?

It's time we became that country.

And with President Obama finally speaking out in support of gay marriage, we just might.

In 100 years, they may look back on these times, proudly, as they recite statistics of about how the divorce rate has lowered and about how great gay parents can be.

We can dream.

The beautiful thing is, are dreams are quickly becoming the reality.