By Marin Cogan, GQ
"[W]e will no longer spend resources campaigning in primaries in states that have not yet voted. Doing so with any hope of success would take many tens of millions of dollars we simply do not have," Paul emailed supporters in a campaign statement this week. "I encourage all supporters of Liberty to make sure you get to the polls and make your voices heard, particularly in the local, state, and Congressional elections, where so many defenders of Freedom are fighting and need your support."
Is the Ron Paul campaign finally over? Depends on whom you ask. The media and the political establishment says yes. But while the rest of us sleep (and also eat, and go to work, and spend time with our families) Ron Paul's most committed fans are on the internets, debating intricacies of his campaign far too complex for most of us to understand. Here's a deep look inside the Ron Paul Forums, where they're still wrestling with the announcement.
1) Shock or Disbelief: The Northbreather posted at 12:58 p.m. "GET DELEGATES! RON PAUL
2) Denial: Elwar posted at 1:09 pm "We are winning folks. Now is the time to dig in for the long haul."
3) Anger: DarthBrooklyn posted at 12:43 pm "Now the media who has bashed the sh** out of him from day 1, will now start fawning over him and how great this and that about him and invite him to potificate on the general election.. He should tell everyone who invites him on tv to take a long walk off a short pier. .. Fkn scum... I WILL NOT VOTE FOR ROMNEY... EVER!!!"*
4) Bargaining: Massachusetts posted at 2:11pm "Our past couple moneybombs could have been a lot better, and I know a lot of people are hurting financially, but if this is Ron's last hurrah (I don't think it is, I still think he will become President), let's show him that we are in it to win it and that we will support him all the way to Tampa. Any input? If we could all pledge $10 for whatever the date may be, we could make this special and make Ron's connection with this movement one to remember."*
5) Guilt: Eleganz posted at 1:05 pm "You guys happy now? Nobody promoting the money bombs
Nobody using phone from home and the program is just sitting there eating money
No wonder the campaign can't keep up
You want to change the perception that Ron Paul is still in it to win it?
Blow up this next moneybomb.
Give all that you can
Get on phone from home
Start promoting money bomb and phoning right this second
Start organizing the state conventions
6) Depression: Apparition posted at 1:48 pm "Yeah man....... sending out bleak emails to supporters is an awesome move. Way to be stealth and stuff."
7) Acceptance and Hope: Dude58677 posted at 1:46 pm "We are better off when we are not on the radar. The establishment will have their heads in the cloud and we can continue getting delegates at State Conventions. If Ron Paul went up and said 'I'm going to kick Romney's ass' then Romney's supporters will show up at the conventions in droves. I was worried that the establishment will catch on to our delegate strategy but now this keep us off the radar, so lets look to the conventions this weekend."*
*Entries marked with an asterisk could also be categorized as "denial."