With no immediate end to the Hachette-Amazon conflict in sight, there are some signs that it could be taking a toll on the publisher's ebooks, based on this week's Digital Book World Ebook Best-Seller List.
All three Hachette titles on last week's rankings took a spill, with one -- David Baldacci's The Target -- dropping out of the top ten. Since Amazon has suspended pre-ordering capabilities on some Hachette titles, the worst may be yet to come for the publisher's upcoming ebooks.
In the meantime, the average price of a best-selling ebook climbs $7.29 from $6.22 last week, the latest fluctuation in a period of variable prices over the past few months.
The top ten best-selling ebooks for the week of May 31:
1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (Penguin Random House) -- $4.99
2. City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments) by Cassandra Clare (Simon & Schuster) -- $10.67
3. Unlucky 13 (Women's Murder Club) by James Patterson; Maxine Paetro (Hachette) -- $8.99
4. Moving Day: A Thriller by Jonathan Stone (Amazon) -- $4.99
5. The Goldfinch: A Novel (Pulitzer Prize for Fiction) by Donna Tartt (Hachette) -- $7.50
6. Field of Prey by John Sandford (Penguin Random House) -- $8.99
7. Skin Game: A Novel of the Dresden Files by John Butcher (Penguin Random House) -- $11.99
8. Allegiant (Divergent series) by Veronica Roth (HarperCollins) -- $6.99
9. Insurgent (Divergent series) by Veronica Roth (HarperCollins) -- $6.99
10. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (Penguin Random House) -- $4.01
See the rest of the top 25 best-selling ebooks this week.