I saw Pippin at the Golden Gate Theatre in San Francisco on press night 9/23/14. In no particular order, here are 10 things I learned:
1. I originally saw it in the 70s starring the Tony award-winning actor John Rubinstein who played the lead in the original Broadway production and plays Charles Pippin's father in this production.
2. Rubinstein's real life father is concert pianist Arthur Rubinstein.
3. Jill Clayburgh played Catherine in the original production.
4. Rubinstein says he would live in San Francisco if he could.
5. Rubinstein has narrated more than 100 audiobooks.
6. Lucy Arnaz plays Pippin's grandmother Berthe yes Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz Junior's girl.
7. Rubinstein has five children.
8. Rubinstein's son is actor Michael Weston of House, Six Feet Under and Scrubs.
9. Sasha Allen the "leading player" has tv roots in CBS's Blue Bloods.
10. Rubinstein was in the series Crazy like a Fox and Family for which he wrote the opening theme song.
Love, peace, compassion and blessings.