Street Corner Renaissance (SCR) is a five man a Capella group from Los Angeles who competed in season 4 of NBC's "The Sing Off" and placed in the top four. Here's 5 things I learned about SCR:
1. They all had day jobs before joining the group full time: in the insurance industry; a community youth advocate/founder of a mentoring program; a minister; a legal assistant: and a city worker.
2. They shared the stage with Jay Leno, Nancy Wilson, George Duke, Patty Austin, Freda Payne, Lalah Hathaway, Dianne Reeves, Patrice Rushen, Take Six, Stevie Wonder, Nikki Giovanni, Chuck Berry, Kool and the Gang, and Boyz II Men to name a few.
3. They are the first a Capella group to perform at the "Jazz at Drew Festival".
4. "We want to be the voice of a new revolution to reclaim our culture from the age of innocence and unbridled ambition, hence our name, Street Corner "Renaissance"" says Maurice Kitchen the founder.
5. I have fewer than six degrees of separation from the group: they competed against Oakland School for the Art's (OSA) Vocal Rush in The Sing Off, they also recently performed at my church, Heart and Soul Center of Light and my son and nephew hung out with them pre concert in the green room.
Peace, love, compassion, and blessings.
CORRECTION: An earlier version of this post erroneously stated that Street Corner Renaissance won season 4 of NBC's "The Sing Off." It has been updated accordingly.