October 16 is the fifth annual #SpiritDay organized by GLAAD (formerly the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) to "go purple" and take a stand against bullying and show support of the LGBT(lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) youth.
Here are 10 reasons I am "going purple":
1. There is an app: "Go purple for #spiritday" available for iPhone and Android.
2. Purple symbolizes spirit on the rainbow flag.
3. It's National Bullying Prevention Month.
4. #SpiritDay is celebrated the third Thursday in October.
5. Purple is my favorite color.
6. I want to visibly show LGBT youth that it's ok to "be who you are".
7. According to GLAAD 8 out of 10 LGBT students reported experiencing harassment in school.
8. If it's good enough for Oprah and FLOTUS, I'm in too, they are two of my sheroes.
9. I was a LGBT youth years ago and would have appreciated the visible support.
10. The issues of bullying and suicide are serious, we must began to talk about it to shed light and what better way to start the conversation than a visible call to action to wear purple today.
This is just the beginning, more work needs to be done and dialogue needs to be had. For more information and resources contact GLAAD.
Peace, love, compassion and blessings.