Reading that title, you’re probably thinking, “I bet I need a fancy website” or “I need an accountant, right?” While those are great guesses, I want to help you focus on the nitty-gritty of entrepreneur success. I like referring to Oprah as an example because she’s the epitome of ‘holy cow how’d she get so successful and how can I do that too’.
What I’ve found with many of the entrepreneurs I have worked with in my career, is that coming straight out of the gate into the entrepreneur world is exhilarating, but totally overwhelming at the same time (I get it. I’ve been there!). You start out with this insane drive to make it happen no matter what because you’re so driven by passion that you’ll do ANYTHING to get what you want. You research how to do this, or that, or Google how to implement different strategies into your business. You research day in and day out trying to figure out what will work to get your business off the ground and suddenly, you just might start feeling burnt out.
The feeling of burn out is a BUMMER but it usually happens when THESE 5 must-have’s aren’t being met:
1. The ability to say no: When you’re first starting out in business, you’ll want to do EVERYTHING and sell to EVERYONE, no matter what! It’s really easy to get caught up in the ‘yes’ game of saying yes to each and every project or client who comes along, even if they aren’t a great fit for you. Having the ability to say NO sooner, rather than later, saves you massive headaches and helps you avoid the burnout of working with people who don’t energize you.
2. Knowing who you WILL serve and who you WON’T serves: Speaking of saying NO to people who don’t energize you, knowing exactly who you desire to work with allows you to have an internal checklist before you take on a new client. The sooner you know WHO your ideal market is, the easier it will be to market to them, say YES to them, and say NO the ones who don’t serve you or your mission.
3. Get comfy with the uncomfy: This is probably my favorite saying because it’s SO TRUE when it comes to entrepreneurship. Not only does entrepreneurship stretch you, but it confronts you with EVERYTHING you’re scared of. Yep, your fears, doubts, money blocks...all that jazz is going to come to light when you begin this journey. Get comfortable with feeling stretched and outside of your comfort zone. Maybe this means do a few extra yoga classes, or take up a new hobby to release the stress. The journey is WORTH IT!
4. Know that everyone has fears: Literally, everyone. I promise you if you asked Oprah what fears she has or has overcome with her business, she’d rattle off a long list! Your brain is programmed to show you red flags because it wants to protect you. Your job is to acknowledge the fear, but choose to continue IN SPITE of fear. THIS is the difference between those who are successful and those who aren’t. Successful entrepreneurs work in spite of fear because they KNOW their business is worth it.
5. Know it’s going to happen. Period.: Know 100% that your business is going to take off. It doesn’t matter if you don’t know HOW it will or WHEN it will, but knowing that IT IS HAPPENING is going to take you so much further than worrying about the how’s. The moment that doubt creeps into our minds is the moment we get shaky with our goals. DON’T LET DOUBT IT! Say mantras in the morning. Listen to meditations and affirmations that keep your vibes high and your mindset positive. YOUR MIND IS YOUR MOST IMPORTANT ASSET!
See? Websites, social media accounts, etc are all great, but if you don’t build your solid foundation of a positive entrepreneurial mindset, it’s REALLY hard to make your goals happen.
Do you have a go-to mindset routine? Let us know in the comments!