I have been packing my kids lunches for as long as I can remember. This past year, bento style lunchboxes picked up popularity, and naturally, I decided to hop on that train. Cute lunches? Sign me up! I’m a self-confessed "Pinterest Mom” who likes to DIY everything - cute lunches were right up my alley. What I was blissfully unaware of as I ordered these adorable lunch boxes, is that packing cute, bento style lunchboxes actually makes me a terrible parent.
Here are five reasons why:
- My kids shouldn’t need fun food. Why am I catering to my kids and making their food fun, just so they’ll eat it? Because we all know that is the only reason I pack these adorable little lunchboxes. How could I possibly find joy in it?
- Just call me the lunch police. Now that my kids have reusable, colorful lunchboxes, I am obviously judging everyone else’s lunches. Dollar store containers? Disposable zip top baggies? Non-organic snacks? How dare you!
- I can be pretty lazy. How could I even consider packing leftovers for lunch, or cold mac and cheese? There’s no way my kids enjoy either one of those, I’m clearly just being lazy.
- Mean is my middle name. That’s right, I am the mean mom. Why, you ask? Because I never, ever, let my kids buy school lunch. How absolutely horrible of me! I should without a doubt let my kids eat school food like all of the other kids.
- I’m just a one-upper. Busted! I don’t pack fun lunches because I enjoy it, or because my kids enjoy it. I actually pack fun lunches because I want to be better than every other elementary school mom, duh!
I hate to break it to you, but the truth is, I am a kick-ass parent! I pack my kids lunchboxes everyday because I LOVE being creative. I absolutely, positively enjoy coming up with new and fun ideas, and I love that my kids get a kick out of them. I will never judge someone else’s lunch; in fact, I encourage people to share their lunches with me so I can see what they've got (this momma needs inspiration sometimes, too!). I love to share what I’m packing in hopes that it’ll pull some fellow moms out of a lunch rut, or save them a few bucks. If you’re looking for some lunch inspiration, I’d love for you to join me on Instagram, but I do have one rule: You must not be easily offended by cute food!