Each new day equals a new chance to refine your goals, walk in purpose, enjoy yourself and be a light. Here are some life-defining strategies I’ve received and implemented over the years from several mentors, and I’m confident they’ll increase your odds for success, too:
* Pursue joy. You could sulk, complain, worry, be offended or offend, but why waste the energy? Happiness is elusive; inner joy equals contentment, no matter the circumstance.
* Review your personal “board of directors” and make sure that everyone with a seat at the table is truly for you. You can’t win if anyone in your inner circle is leaning in the opposite direction of where you aim to go.
* When people show you who they are, or where you stand with them, don’t get mad; embrace the truth. Love them anyway; then pull out that “long-handled spoon” and bless and release them to go find their joy. * Love the face in the mirror. Those eyes staring back at you deserve the best you have to give. When you treat yourself well, the overflow of that love will bless and give hope to others.
* Keep learning and you’ll keep living with passion and purpose at any age and at every stage. You’re never too old to grow, and there’s always more to know.
* Say no to good things, so you’ll have space in your life to say yes to great things. Doesn’t mean the good isn’t worthwhile; it’s just your season for something else.
* Perfect your shrug: You’ll need it when things don’t go your way or happen in your timing. Doesn’t mean all is lost; just means everything beautiful happens in its own time. Go with the flow and enjoy the journey.
* Simply make it a great day; because your being alive means it is.
MEET STACY... As both a novelist and nonfiction writer, Stacy Hawkins Adams uses the written word to encourage you to recognize your relevance, use it for good and enjoy your journey. She is the author of 10 books that foster personal growth, illuminate journeys of faith, explore social justice issues and humanity, and inspire women to live fully. Stacy also serves as a writer mentor and writing workshop leader, pens a parenting column for the daily newspaper in Richmond, Va. and curates LifeUntapped.com, a blog through which readers celebrate the power of women's stories. Visit her at www.StacyHawkinsAdams.com or follow her on Twitter @SHAdams and Facebook.com/StacyInspires.