Something messy happened between contestants DeMario Jackson and Corinne Olympios on “Bachelor in Paradise,” but as the investigation continues, it’s turning into a case of he said, she said.
Production on the upcoming season of ABC’s “Bachelor” spinoff was halted last week over “allegations of misconduct” during an encounter of sexual nature between Olympios and Jackson. A field producer reportedly filed a complaint about a possible sexual assault, which was captured on film, although Jackson claims the interaction was consensual.
Now, Jackson is speaking out about the allegations, as details about their night together from other contestants and producers start to trickle in.
In a statement released by his publicist, Eve Sarkisyan-Nunn, to Entertainment Tonight on Wednesday, Jackson claims he is the victim of character assassination. In the wake of the scandal, he also has reportedly lost his job as an executive recruiter.
It’s unfortunate that my character and family name has been assassinated this past week with false claims and malicious allegations.
I will be taking swift and appropriate legal action until my name is cleared and, per the advice of legal counsel, will be seeking all available remedies entitled to me under the laws.
This strikes a different tone than a previous soundbite about the controversy, in which he refused to comment on the matter except to sing Olympios’ praises.
“I have nothing to say. You know, Corinne’s an awesome girl and that’s all I have to say,” he told ET earlier this week. “Love you all, thank you for the support.”
Jackson’s statement comes a day after Olympios announced she hired top Hollywood attorney Marty Singer to represent her, describing herself as a “victim” at the center of a nightmare becoming reality.
Olympios explained that she has enlisted legal counsel to make sure whatever happened “comes to light and I can continue my life, including hiring an attorney to obtain justice and seeking therapy to begin dealing with the physical and emotional trauma stemming from that evening.”
While Warner Bros. pursues an official investigation into the matter, the fate of “Bachelor In Paradise” hangs in the balance, but given the nature of these conflicting accounts, we doubt this will be resolved quickly.