Today we're going to look at superfoods, which are not only super-nutritious but also super for helping you get in shape, lose weight, and feel vigorous.
I like the word superfood. Sounds kind of like a superhero of foods, doesn't it? Well, that's pretty much the case. Superfoods are extremely potent, nutrient-dense foods that can increase the vital force in your body so that you can detoxify, get your immune system to function optimally, and start feeling balanced and energized. They are super-concentrated with disease-fighting phytochemicals and are naturally low in calories. And as tasty and all-around satisfying as they are, they act like medicine in the body, healing you at deep levels and in multiple ways.
The more you work these superheroes into your diet, the more you will simply lose interest in the unhealthier foods you are used to. All of which means your digestion will improve, you'll have the energy to be more active, your cravings will subside, and the weight will continue to come off.
Here's the thing: Being deficient in vitamins and minerals can create food cravings -- the body knows it hasn't gotten what it needs and sends you out for more. By feeding your body nutrient-dense foods, you curb cravings that would otherwise tempt you. So that's the mission today: to discover foods that are brimming with nutrients and medicinal antioxidants. Let's look at a few of my favorites so that you can choose which one to work into your plan today.
Visit my page of badges to share the step you're on!
- Goji berries are a sweet red fruit that has a taste somewhere between a cherry and a cranberry.
- They have been used for thousands of years in Chinese medicine to increase strength, bring about longevity, and enhance sexual energy.
- They contain super high levels of antioxidants -- aka cancer and disease preventatives!
- An excellent snack to keep you feeling balanced and your energy high since they are low on the glycemic index and high on fiber.
- Goji berries also have lots of chromium, a mineral that assists the weight loss process.
- Chocolate is actually good for you! It's loaded with flavanoids, which is good for the circulation to your heart and brain.
- It has tons of antioxidants, which protect you from cell degeneration and disease.
- Cocoa is a great source of magnesium, which is good for building strong bones, increasing flexibility, relaxing muscles, and assisting in healthy bowel movements.
- Chocolate encourages your brain to produce feel-good endorphins because it has the same chemical, phenylethylamine (PEA), that your body produces when you are falling in love.
- If you choose to eat chocolate, which is highly recommended, just make sure it's at least 70 percent cocoa and that it's dairy-free. Two or three squares of it ought to do the trick!
- Chia seeds are an excellent source of antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, and a good source of protein.
- Along with a good amount of fiber (fiber fills the belly, cuts cravings, cleans you out!), the seeds have a good amount of calcium, manganese, thiamine, and phosphorus -- vitamins and minerals you might be lacking in your regular diet.
- Chia seeds absorb seven times their weight in water, thereby making you feel full with smaller amounts of food and leaving no room for the fattening stuff.
- To get the greatest health benefits, consume chia seeds in their whole state.
- As with any nuts or seeds, chias are calorie dense, so stick to around a tablespoon.
- Blueberries are full of antioxidants -- more than most other fruits and vegetables -- to combat inflammation, disease, and aging.
- They have multiple phytonutrients and phytoflavanoids, which are supportive to the nervous system, brain, cardiovascular system, and contain a good amount of vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium, manganese, and fiber.
- Studies show that the anthocyanin pigments in the berries may actually halt cancer in the critical stages of promotion and proliferation.
- Blueberries are a nutritional powerhouse without a lot of calories.
- They have no fat or cholesterol, and are excellent for your digestion and for avoiding constipation.
- Kale is said to be an excellent anti-cancer food, protecting against breast, prostate, colon, ovarian, and bladder cancer, specifically.
- It's extremely rich in nutrients, including vitamins A, C, K, calcium, folic acid, as well as all those miraculous antioxidants.
- Kale is high in fiber and will go far to fill you up and keep you feeling full.
- If I had to pick the most powerful superfood that does the most good in the body, kale would be it.
So there you have it. A short list of superfoods to choose from. Make sure you have at least one of these today and every day you are on the Lean plan. The more you tuck into these nutrient-dense, fiber-rich foods, the less you will have a hankering for burgers and fries. These superfoods act like medicine in your body, helping to detox years of bad choices.
What to Do Today:
- Eat a Hearty Breakfast
- Make Your Lunch Without Animal Products
- Eat a Super Food
(Optional) What You'll Need for Tomorrow's Bonus Recipe:
1/3 cup tamari soy sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 Gardein Beefless Burgers, frozen
2 tablespoons light vegan mayonnaise (I like Vegenaise)
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon sweet relish
Garlic powder to taste
2 slices vegan Cheddar cheese, sliced
2 multigrain sandwich thins, toasted
4 lettuce leaves
1 tomato, sliced
½ small red onion, slices
½ small avocado, slices
"Thanks for taking The 7-Day Lean Challenge with me! The Lean is a 30-day Plan for Healthy, Lasting Weight Loss. It's designed to help you crowd out bad habits and replace them with new healthier ones. I'd love for you to join me for the whole 30-day plan. Please visit http://www.kathyfreston.com/the_lean_badges.html to preview more steps! The Lean is available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Indie Bound."
For more by Kathy Freston, click here.
For more on weight loss, click here.