On Wednesday, Jan. 25, TV icon Mary Tyler Moore died after being hospitalized in Connecticut, her rep confirmed to The Huffington Post. She was 80.
Moore gained fame after starring on “The Dick van Dyke Show.” She then went on to star as Mary Richards on “The Mary Tyler Moore Show,” one of the first TV shows to feature a never-married working woman as its lead character.
Moore became a feminist icon, and the show is credited with inspiring women to break free from the stereotypical norms society had put in place for them.
In honor of the woman who “turned the world on with her smile,” we’ve rounded up her most honest, inspirational and funny quotes.
1. “Whatever it is, it’s OK because it’s what it is. Don’t be looking for perfection. Don’t be short-tempered with yourself. And you’ll be a whole lot nicer to be around with everyone else.”
2. “I knew at a very early age what I wanted to do. Some people refer to it as indulging in my instincts and artistic bent. I call it just showing off, which was what I did from about three years of age on.”
3. “I’m not an actress who can create a character. I play me.”
4. “You can’t be brave if you’ve only had wonderful things happen to you.”
5. “Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.”
6. “Having a dream is what keeps you alive. Overcoming the challenges makes life worth living.”