WEIRD NEWS
01/17/2017 07:35 am ET Updated Jan 17, 2017

'Lucky' Puppy Survives After Swallowing 8-Inch Knife Whole

"Her saving grace was that she swallowed the handle-end first."
Irene Paisley and her puppy Macie, left, with an X-ray of the 8-inch cook's knife that the dog swallowed at her home in Glasg
PDSA
Irene Paisley and her puppy Macie, left, with an X-ray of the 8-inch cook's knife that the dog swallowed at her home in Glasgow, Scotland.

Macie the puppy is lucky to be alive after she swallowed a chef’s knife.

Frightening X-rays show how the 8-inch utensil became firmly lodged inside the 12-week-old Staffordshire bull terrier’s stomach, intestines and gullet after she ingested it at her home in Glasgow, Scotland, three weeks ago. 

The dog’s owner, Irene Paisley, said she initially didn’t realize what was wrong with her pup when it began vomiting and then choking.

Veterinarian Emily Ronald performed lifesaving surgery on Macie. They are pictured with the knife that the dog swallowed.
PDSA
Veterinarian Emily Ronald performed lifesaving surgery on Macie. They are pictured with the knife that the dog swallowed.

“I was terrified,” Paisley said Tuesday, adding that blood later shot out of the animal’s nose.

She rushed Macie to the People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) emergency out-of-hours veterinarian service. Veterinarians X-rayed the dog, discovered the blade and performed emergency surgery to remove it. 

“I’ve never seen an X-ray like Macie’s,” veterinarian Emily Ronald said. “She was extremely lucky to survive. Her saving grace was that she swallowed the handle-end first ― the blade-end would undoubtedly have pierced her organs, likely causing fatal injuries.”

X-rays show how the knife became lodged from Macie's gullet, through her stomach and in her intestines.
PDSA
X-rays show how the knife became lodged from Macie's gullet, through her stomach and in her intestines.

Paisley said she had “no idea” how her pet had gotten hold of the knife.

“She could have pinched it out of the dishwasher, but no one saw what happened,” the mom of four said in a statement.

Macie, meanwhile, is now back at home and expected to make a full recovery.

HuffPost

BEFORE YOU GO

CONVERSATIONS