The autopsy results for Damian Sutton, a 2-year-old Michigan boy, showed that he died of blunt force trauma, according to the Macomb County Medical Examiner. His death was ruled a homicide.
After he was allegedly beaten by his mother's boyfriend, Ronald Anthony Dimambro, Sutton was placed in a medically-induced coma. The toddler underwent emergency brain surgery before being taken off life support at Children's Hospital in Detroit on Tuesday morning.
The autopsy results mean Dimambro will likely be charged with murder, Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith told Detroit news station WXYZ-TV.
“Violence against Macomb County children will not be tolerated," Smith said in a statement. "The full weight and resources of this Office will be used to seek justice for Damian Sutton."
Dimambro will be arraigned Sept. 10. He had already been charged with first-degree child abuse while Sutton was hospitalized. His $500,000 bond was revoked Wednesday while authorities waited for the medical examiner's findings.
Dimambro was babysitting the 2-year-old Aug. 21 at a home in Washington Township. He called 911 to report that the child was injured, and first claimed he thought Sutton had an asthma attack. (Listen to the 911 call here.)
Dimambro eventually turned himself in, admitting that he shook Sutton roughly and threw him.
Prosecutor Smith defended the child's mother, Nikki, whom he says had never seen any signs of violence in Dimambro. "This is the last thing she ever thought would happen. People need to realize that this woman did everything she could to provide the best possible life for her child," he told local Fox affiliate WJBK-TV.
"From everything we have seen, the blame lies in one person: the defendant," he added.
Donations to help cover funeral costs and medical bills can be made at any Fifth Third bank nationwide or online here.