Sansa Stark is safe for another season.
At least that's what "Game of Thrones" star Sophie Turner intimated on the red carpet at the 88th Academy Awards Sunday night. During a routine interview with E! correspondent Giuliana Rancic, the 20-year-old actress, whose (Jean) grayish green grown paired perfectly with her fiery red hair, revealed that many characters will meet their maker on the HBO series this season, but Sansa is not one of them.
"Flicking through [the script] I'm like, death, death, death ... I'm alright this season," she told the host, as the "GoT" fandom breathed a sigh of relief.
Earlier this year at EW's SAG Awards party, Turner previewed her character's Season 6 arc, explaining that Sansa, the series' perennial victim, is finally "coming into her own."
"I mean, this season is a really, really big one for Sansa. It’s probably her best season yet," she said. "It’s her really coming into her own. She, this season, really commands the respect that she deserves and she grabs hold of it and she runs with it and it’s really good."
Hopefully, this means the new season will develop Sansa's story beyond her victimhood, allowing the character to take some agency within the narrative. Many fans were up in arms over the character's controversial rape scene in the Season 5 episode “Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken,” prompting the series creators to make some changes moving forward.
Just last week, however, Turner's co-star Natalie Dormer explained why she's pretty much done defending the fantasy epic to the critics, stating that those seeking mindless, escapist television can look elsewhere.
"The horror of human nature is prevalent in our world, and I appreciate that some people want to turn on the telly for escapism -- but if that’s what you want, don’t watch 'Game of Thrones,'" she told The Sunday Times.
“I choose fantasy to vent, to process complex political, sexual and social politics at the safe distance of fiction," the English actress elaborated. "For me, that’s what art should be.”