Food waste is no joke.
Up to 40 percent of food goes uneaten in the United States. This includes the perfectly edible, albeit slightly odd looking produce that large supermarkets routinely reject simply because they don’t meet the industry’s outrageous cosmetic standards.
Here’s a look at some of the unique fruits and veggies that you probably won’t see in your supermarket. We found these at a local farmer’s market ― and we think they’re just beautiful.
Language in the petition embedded in this entry has been updated to reflect Walmart’s recent efforts to sell some “ugly” produce in the U.S.
More stories like this:
- We Waste An Insane Amount Of Food. Here’s What You Can Do About It.
- This Walmart Worker Threw Away Food On The Job, Then Went Home Hungry
- A Whole New Kind Of Grocery Store Is Coming To The U.S.
- The Psychological Reason Why We Hate Ugly Fruits
- This Guy Spends $2.75 A Year On Food And Eats Like A King
- The U.S. Wastes Half Of All Produce Because It’s Not Instagram-Worthy