Is machine learning and deep learning a better career than web development now? originally appeared on Quora: the place to gain and share knowledge, empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world.
Is machine learning and deep learning a better career than web development now? Many bright young people ask themselves this question, and not without a reason. It’s true, machine learning is very important and it pays extremely well. But what is a “better career”, especially if we compare it with web development?
I will give you five reasons why web development is a better career than machine learning.
- It’s an endless supply of jobs. Everyone either needs a website - or new features for it. The demand for web developers is huge, and it’s not going anywhere unless someone shuts down the internet. Machine learning has a very high bar and the competition is shifted towards the best universities in the world.
- It’s much simpler to do, and it still pays very well. I am not talking about how fascinating this job is. I know nothing about fascination with web development, but some people like it very much. There are challenging problems with it, but they are technical - which means, if you know your frameworks and browsers, you pretty much have it covered.
- It’s so, so much simpler to learn, Forget about algebra, statistics, optimization. There’s a lot of other things to learn, and it’s not exactly a walk in the park, but web development has next to zero math involved.
- You have better odds of getting rich. Let’s face it, most of the great products that actually make money are centered around some customer-related idea, not a brilliant invention. Facebook didn’t have neural nets. Neither did Snapchat, Dropbox, etc.
- You always know what’s possible. So, you are going to build a website. Great, plan the functionality, sketch the design and start coding. You don’t have to do any magic, you just do your job every day, punch in the code, drink your coffee and collect your salary. You always know that at the end this website is going to have the exact functionality you’ve planned. That’s not the case with ML.
So, if good odds are what you are after, web development is your choice. Everything is gonna be fine.
This question originally appeared on Quora - the place to gain and share knowledge, empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world. You can follow Quora on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. More questions: