The following is a verbatim copy of the letter that I sent to Senator Larry Craig this morning via his official website to warn him about the illness that is destroying his career, his family and ultimately himself.
I am a board-certified physician, national medical opinion leader and a KABC radio show host in Los Angeles.
In my professional opinion, you are a sociopath and disgrace to the entire country, if not the world.
Not because you are gay, but because your narcissistic personality disorder* has been, till now, serving your ambitions quite grandly while silently wreaking havoc on the innocents around you -- your wife, your children, your constituents and gay people in Idaho who you are supposed to represent
Your denial of your lifelong record of clandestine lewd acts in the face of credibly damning evidence not only damages your party and the nation, it damages yourself and your family. The only shred of decency remaining in your tortured soul should bring you to the conclusion that it is time to resign.
The photo op of your wife standing by you yesterday at your pathetic press conference to retract your guilty plea hearkens to visions of another press conference starring another disgraced government official -- now openly gay former New Jersey Governor James McGreevey. Yet one more power-hungry narcissist-coward who put ambition above TRUE "family values" and destroyed his family and his career in the process.
You are the worst kind of hypocrite and sociopath -- a closeted gay man who attacks his own people and thwarts their attempts at civil rights. You deserve all the damaging fallout that this sordid affair will undoubtably bring.
I will do everything in my power as a physician, community leader and broadcast radio show host on a conservative talk radio station (my radio colleagues include Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity) to see that you never set foot in the hallowed halls in the U.S. Senate again.
Shame on you. You had the potential to do better for this nation and you chose the most cowardly path. May your own party and the press eat you alive.
Gary R. Cohan, M.D., F.A.C.P.
Beverly Hills, CA
* Narcissistic Personality Disorder: Diagnostic Criteria:
A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:
(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
(4) requires excessive admiration
(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes