1. Find clarity.
What is your vision for your life?
Does your vision for your life align with your business?
This exercise has worked with many of my clients and will assist you in achieving clarity:
- Breathe in deeply and breathe out slowly, three times, before doing this exercise.
- Close your eyes, visualize, create in your mind the life that you want in terms of health, wealth, relationships and work. Do it now!
Once you have visualized the life you want, take a little pause.
Answer these questions:
- What type of business do you want to create?
- Why have you chosen this business or project?
- Are you passionate about the topic?
- Does the business you envision align with your values? (I.e. do you value Freedom = working from your laptop/location independent, if so, which strategies can you implement to create an income that allows you to do this).
- What are your gifts/talents and how can you use them in your business?
Remember to respect your deepest desires. In business, passion is vital. You must choose to do what you really love.
2. Believe in yourself.
This is the most powerful state of mind.
You have to believe in yourself and your ability to create opportunities.
A big part of self-doubt and fear is the result of stories that our mind is telling us on why we can't be or do what we want. These stories are false. Don't believe them!
You have accomplished many achievements in the past. The power, strength and wisdom used for your achievements, is still there within you.
When you block yourself with negativity, always remember, you are in charge of your thoughts, transform them into empowering affirmations. Connect with the reason on why you created your business. List all the achievements you have had in your life until today and dwell in that power and sense of confidence.
3. Identify what you need.
Give yourself a business reality check. What is required in order for you to reach your business goals?
See the results of your business as they are (no worse, no better).
Ask yourself these questions:
- What do you need to do to be your best? (Physically, mentally and emotionally).
- What business aspects do you need to improve on? (Brand, marketing, products and services, cash flow).
- What kind of support do you need? (Mentors, virtual assistants, housekeeper, your family, friends, etc).
To run a sustainable business support is key.
Being surrounded by people who support you and understand you as an entrepreneur, will help you grow and persevere.
4. Take action. Implement, implement and implement!
While passion may lead you to start your own business, it's your commitment that will keep you going.
To watch your ideas flourish you have to take action.
Almost everything you know about business and entrepreneurship is worthless without action.
If you learn something new at a course, implement it. If you receive advice from your coach or mentor I suggest you implement it, right away.
Take your time to write a clear and concrete Business Plan.
Create an effective 'Action Plan' to bring your Business Plan to life.
Learn how to set realistic goals for the year, month, week and day. Reserve a time slot to regularly check your 'Action Plan.' Spend 15 minutes every morning to plan your day ahead.
Remember that your goals must be specific, realistic, appealing, measurable and should be able to be achieved within a period of time.
To be more productive you can apply the Pareto principle, also known as the 80/20 rule. Only 20% of what you do produces 80% of your results. Therefore, eliminate the things that have a minimal effect on your overall productivity. For example, break your next project down into steps and remove tasks until you end up with the 20% that gets 80% of results.
Use technology to optimize your time. Utilize the free software and phone applications to organize your tasks and help you to be super productive.
Stick to your 'Action Plan.' Follow up. Keep what is working and change what is not.
And keep on going.
The way to getting results is by taking consistent action towards your business goals whilst cultivating the right mindset and implementing the right strategies.
5. Deal with resistance.
Whilst you are running your business, you might experience resistance. Resistance can be manifested as procrastination, excuses in not getting important tasks completed, working on tasks that have no impact on your business, fear of putting yourself out there through your marketing, products and services, etc.
The most effective way to deal with a fear is to simply be aware of it and do it anyway.
The fear of taking action almost always disappears shortly after you begin moving forward. You suddenly realize that you were worrying over nothing, and you actually begin to enjoy making progress.
Try this when you find yourself blocked by fear and false beliefs:
- Identify the limiting beliefs behind your fears. For example, I'm afraid to put myself out there, what will people say; I'm not good enough.
- Write them down.
- Explore if they are really true. You will find out that 99% of the time they are not.
- Write down why it's important for you to get rid of them.
- Replace your limiting beliefs with empowering 'affirmations' or 'reminders.'
Never give up on your vision of creating a successful business and a fulfilling life. Keep on going despite the fear, you will be surprised by what you are capable of. You can create anything you want, it just depends on yourself!
Now, I would love to hear from you, please leave your comments below on how you cultivate your entrepreneurial mindset.
Giovanna Garcia Malagon is a certified Life Coach, Business Strategist and Speaker who helps Consultants, Experts, Coaches, Entrepreneurs and Independent Professionals find clarity, gain confidence and use effective strategies to take their lives and businesses to a higher level. Continue the conversation with Giovanna on Facebook and learn more about her work here.