What to do with purple sweet potatoes? Potato skins! Cooking with these pretty purple sweet potatoes was a first for me and the same goes for making 'tater' skins. I replaced the usual bacon topping with seasoned baked chicken. This nutritious alternative adds protein to an appetizer-turned healthy meal. This recipe wouldn't be as tasty without the melted Mexican cheese and refreshing cilantro topped sour cream. They are a perfect complement to the sweetness of the potato skins.
Like other members of the sweet potato family, purple sweet potatoes are high in vitamin A, potassium, and fiber. Vitamin A (retinol) can help keep our skin looking younger by boosting collagen production. Potassium is an important mineral and electrolyte that aids in the proper functioning of the heart, skeletal muscles, and digestive tract. The high fiber content in purple sweet potatoes may help stabilize blood sugar levels, promote a healthy digestive tract, and keep us feeling fuller longer. Copper, iron, and B vitamins are also found in these nutrient-packed root vegetables.
The purple color in this sweet potato comes from the antioxidant, anthocyanin. This powerful antioxidant may help prevent heart disease and cancer. It may also improve cognitive function.
Baked Purple Sweet Potato Skins
- 10 organic purple sweet potatoes, washed and dried
- extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- black ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups chicken, seasoned, baked, and shredded
- 1 cup Mexican cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- cilantro, garnish
1. Set oven temperature to 400 degrees. Lightly coat each sweet potato with olive oil, then place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
2. Allow the sweet potatoes to cool. Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out potato filling (save for another meal).
3. Lightly season the inside of the sweet potato with salt and pepper.
4. Place the potato skins back on the baking sheet, then layer with chicken and cheese. Bake at 450 degrees for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
5. Top with sour cream and cilantro.
~Enjoy Eating Healthy!