Divorce can be really devastating. Dating again can be horrific. And getting older? Well, that's enough to send anyone into a depression. But, believe it or not, there are some very inspiring thoughts when it comes to all three of these things. Here are 26 reasons to be inspired by dating, aging, and even your divorce!
1. If you haven't seen it, watch the movie, "Silver Linings Playbook." It will make you laugh, cry and feel great for a month.
2. You're not just divorced, you are also free to have the life you want. Whether you choose to grab it is your decision.
3. Older men are better in bed than younger guys.
4. Your children are becoming the amazing people you've worked so hard to raise.
5. True friends never judge. They are loyal and will catch you when you fall.
6. Want to laugh nonstop? Watch Family Guy. Don't pretend you are offended by it.
7. You are never too old to find love.
8. Only someone over 40 can pull out some Billy Joel CD's and just sit there and sing and enjoy.
9. He is your past. YOU are your future.
10. Yoga will change your life. No eye rolling please. I'm totally serious.
11. One of my best friends just went back to school to get her college degree. She is 49.
12. Rent the first 3 seasons of "Homeland" before season 4 starts next month!
13. Believe it or not, someday your ex will miss you (if he or she doesn't already.) You'll just never know about it.
14. Listen to the song "All About That Bass," and dance around your house. You're sexy and beautiful!
15. There is no law against buying an expensive box of chocolates for yourself and having as much as you want.
16. Thank God everyday for your health. That's not a cliché. Trust me.
17. I bet you never thought about buying yourself flowers.
18. You'll never meet anyone sitting on your couch. Don't say no to nights out with friends or blind dates.
19. In the Jewish religion, visiting the sick is one of the best good deeds you can do.
Same with helping someone find a job.
20. Joakim Noah. Adorable and endearing. Really fun to watch.
21. Volunteering will bring you self-esteem and self-love like you've never known before.
22. It's ok to think about happy times with your ex. You might hate him now, but there was a time you loved him.
23. The only people who don't get over their divorce are those who refuse to stop playing the victim.
24. Have you ever smelled a baby's head after his or her bath? It's a smell you never ever forget.
25. Worrying about money doesn't help the situation. Doing something about it does. Know the difference.
26. Finding happiness after divorce isn't a possibility, it's a probability.
Jackie Pilossoph is the author of her blog, Divorced Girl Smiling, and the comedic divorce novels, Divorced Girl Smiling and Free Gift With Purchase. She also writes feature stories, along with the weekly dating and relationships column, "Love Essentially" for Sun-Times Media local publications. Pilossoph lives in Chicago. Oh, and she's divorced.