New Year's Eve holds a special place in my heart because I met my husband 12 years ago at midnight, and it was one of the greatest days of my life. In my single days, it was my mission to go to the most fabulous party because I was on the hunt for an extraordinary New Year's Eve. Since I've met my husband I'm happy just to spend time together whatever we decide to do. That being said, through the years, I believe that I've figured out the best formula for a surefire good time as the clock strikes midnight. These simple tips should help you achieve a happy new year!
1. Splurge on the good champagne. Listen, it's a special night and you probably don't drink champagne very often so why not splurge a little and get the good stuff! I'm not saying you have to go all Dom Perignon on me, just step it up a bit from the $12.99 Korbel. Trust me, you will enjoy your night so much more... and it will lessen the hangover.
2. Eat delicious hors d'oeuvres, and don't feel guilty about it. It's a holiday, which means all diets are off for the night. Hors d'oeuvres are my favorite kind of meal. You can have a little taste of so many different things and they're usually pretty decadent (read: delicious.) So treat yourself and have more than one or two. Try them all!
3. Download the Uber app. It's not very chic to get a DUI so skip the embarrassment (and a potentially worse situation) and take an Uber home at the end of the night.
4. Have hangover cures ready. My go-to's after a fun night of drinking are Excedrin Migraine and tons of coconut water, but do whatever works for you. Maybe it's a little hair of the dog? Maybe it's a greasy cheeseburger? Whatever it is, have it ready and easily accessible for New Year's Day. Trust me, you'll be happy you did.
5. Wear something sparkly. Load on the bling. You can't wear too much on New Year's Eve. Go nuts. Sparkle away my friend. I promise it will make you happy.
6. Avoid drama. This could be my number one rule for any night on the town, but especially New Year's Eve. If you're friend is going to start crying hysterically at 10 p.m. because she's not going to have someone to kiss at midnight -- nor someone to ever kiss again in her entire life -- maybe just for that night you may want to choose some other friends to hang out with. New Year's Eve is when our entire world celebrates our lil' blue planet making it through another year so save that drama for your mama and be happy.
7. Kiss someone at midnight. I'm not necessarily talking about a wet sloppy kiss here, I'm just sayin'... whether it's your boyfriend, your best friend or your baby, make sure you're feeling the love at midnight. It will start your 2015 off right!