I had the extreme pleasure and honor of being the keynote speaker at the American Diabetes Association Expo in Pittsburgh this past weekend. In addition to delivering my 'kick tush' talk, I lead workshops and, following a book signing at Journeys Of Life bookstore - a small group gathered for an intimate talk.
Today, as I reflect upon the multitude of amazing conversations in which I was engaged, I realize that one theme, in particular, reared its timely head over and over again. The theme: TIME!
People said that the one thing that was getting in their way of weighing less and taking care of themselves was 'time.'
"I don't have the time to exercise."
"I don't have the time to sit, to meditate or even to breathe."
"I don't have the time to be positive."
"I don't have the time to go to the store and pick up fruits and vegetables."
Could it be that we are all that busy? So busy, rushed and stressed that we seriously don't have time to breathe? Or think? Or reflect? Or take care of ourselves?
Seriously ... Are we really that busy? As one of my star coaching clients -- S. Tar. (yes, that is her real name) says, "We are not human beings; we are human runnings. I want to stop running; and start being."
On the one hand, I get that we're all so busy. Me, too! I really don't have an extra hour to sit and meditate; plus another hour to stretch and practice yoga, nor do I have an additional hour to shop, chop and cook!
Still, something's got to give. No?
I invite you to STOP right now and clock 30 seconds. Go ahead - ready?
1 - 2 - 3 -4 - 5 ... 30 seconds.
Great! If you took the time to count to 30 with me; if you are reading this 'motivational morsel,' then we can now agree that while we don't have three hours a day to spare, we do have 30 seconds.
Let's take a full minute to explore all the worthy things we could do with just 30 seconds.
1. Breathe. Seventy percent of waste is eliminated via your lungs! You can place your hand on your belly and feel it rise and fall with each breath cycle. Thirty seconds of breathing can do wonders. Breathing creates miracles.
2. Affirmations. Repeat one powerful affirmation over and over again for 30 seconds. If it's a short affirmation, "I am whole and complete," you may be surprised to find how many times you can repeat it and embed it into your being in just 30 seconds.
3. Stretch. Stand and reach for the stars! Once you reach the stars, be sure to shake them a bit so that you sprinkle a bit of stardust on yourself!
4. Smile. Smiling relaxes hundreds of muscles and releases pockets of stress and tension held in your face. And it's contagious. Smile and the whole world will smile with you!
5. Stay Hydrated. Your brain is approximately 75 percent water, and it's the first place in the body to lose water. Your brain needs water to think clearly. Drink a glass of water.
6. Close Your Eyes. Give yourself a real break and allow your body a 30-second opportunity to re-balance itself. Close your eye, cup the palm of your hands over your ears and listen to the blissful sounds of the ocean playing. Just like when you were a kid and held that shell to your ear!
7. Dance It Out. Tune into your iPOD and shake it up for 30 seconds. The ultimate energy boost!
8. Do Nothing. Just sit and stare; perhaps out the window or at the ceiling. Just be sure to do nothing!
Surely, we all have a few 30-second pockets during the day where we can take the time to just be.
It's a good start; isn't it? How will you use your 30-second pocket?
We say we waste time but that is impossible. We waste ourselves. - Alice Bloch
Spread the word ... NOT the icing!
wise * fun * utterly useful