Who doesn't love a good Sex and The City binge right before going out for a night with your friends, or when you're sitting home by yourself on a lazy Sunday afternoon? The show was definitely one of my favorites when it was on, and has become increasingly more relatable as I get older. Having said that, I think one of the things in the series that gets kind of lost is how much of a screw up Carrie Bradshaw really is.
Funny? Sure. Fashionable? Absolutely. But responsible? Eh, not so much. A good friend? Not really.
While the character is downright entertaining at times, Carrie is not really a woman you want to model your life after. As her life has its ups and downs through the show, it doesn't appear that she ever actually learns anything from any of her mistakes. When she gets back together with Aiden, she continues to be friends with Big, all the while knowing it's hurting him. When her first article at Vogue doesn't go as well as she'd hoped, she gets drunk in her boss's office.
She skates through these mishaps by being extremely lucky and well-connected. Bradshaw has the greatest friends a girl could ask for, people who are always there when she needs them... even if she isn't always the greatest friend in return.
Here are six quotes from Sex and The City that explain why Carrie Bradshaw should not be your role model.
1. "Do you ever think about how she'd feel if she found out?"- Charlotte.
"I think about it all the time" - Carrie.
"No you don't. You just think about what would happen to you, not about her. She's just the idiot wife. You don't know anything about her."- Charlotte
Carrie cheats on Aiden with Big while he is married to Natasha. She obsesses the entire time over Aiden finding out and breaking up with her. However, she sleeps with Big on his lunch hour at his and Natasha's home without any regard to how Natasha would feel if she found out.
2. "No one talks about backing up. You've never used that expression before. But apparently everybody's secretly running home at night and backing up their work."- Carrie
Carrie is a writer in her thirties who's "whole life was on that computer," and she didn't know how to back up her work?
3. "I love you. But it's not my job to fix your finances. You're a 35-year-old woman. You need to learn to stand on your own"- Charlotte
Carrie gets angry at Charlotte for not offering her up the money to use as a down payment on her apartment after Aiden coughed up the money for both of them to live there. This is something Carrie should have thought about before she allowed Aiden to purchase the apartment and apparently not put it in her name.
4. "I've spent $40,000 on shoes and I have no place to live? I will literally be the old woman who lived in her shoes!"- Carrie
I think this one is pretty self explanatory.
5. "No, you are bullsh*t, you and your bullsh*t cheer-me-up bagels. They're just a decoy so you can talk about Aidan. Look! You didn't even bring cream cheese!"- Miranda
After Miranda throws her neck out while having an argument over the phone with Charlotte, Carrie sends Aiden over to her apartment to make sure she is alright instead of going herself. Not something a best friend should do!
6. "You blew me off for a piece of politically incorrect meat?"- Miranda
Again, Carrie blows off Miranda, this time for Big. The moral here? Don't blow off your best friends just because the good looking, unattainable guy asks you to come over when he's cooking veal.