Building a great team is never easy, but these five types of people can help make your startup a breakout success.
Just like a car can't run without an engine, a startup can't run without a team driving it forward. As the founder and CEO of a startup, you'll be responsible for setting direction, making big decisions, and overseeing the operations of your business, but it's your partners and employees who will be running things when you aren't looking, and taking care of the responsibilities you simply don't have time for. If you're going to be successful, you need to fill these roles with people you can genuinely trust, and people with appropriate skillsets.
These five types of people will help carry your startup forward to success no matter what:
1. The Starter. The starter is an employee who loves to create new initiatives and start new things. If he has any ample time on his hands, he'll come up with a new idea for the company, and if he has a lot of ample time on his hands, he'll see that idea through.
2. The Supporter. The supporter is a major team player, and isn't afraid to step into roles she's unfamiliar with. If someone else on the team is struggling, even outside of her department, she'll go out of her way to help out.
3. The Passionate One. The passionate one is stoked to be involved in your business, and loves what he does for a living. You'll never have to worry about him burning out or losing faith in the business.
4. The Criticizer. Overly critical people can be a negative force, but you'll need at least a few employees who aren't afraid to voice their opinions. The criticizer isn't afraid to point out the flaws in a plan, and she works hard to fix those flaws before the plan is fully implemented.
5. The Finisher. The finisher loves to see projects through. He's destination-focused and goal-oriented, so if you give him a goal, he'll do everything he can to meet it.
Finding the right team members for your startup is one of the most important tasks you'll face in the course of your business's development. Do not underestimate this importance. Take your time in hiring, support the right people, weed out the bad seeds, and eventually you'll have a team capable of pushing your company to success.
Jose Vasquez is a serial entrepreneur and tech enthusiast dedicated to helping startup technology companies get the direction and momentum they need to succeed. As the founder of Build. Brand. Blast., Jose has established a collective resource for tech entrepreneurs to consult when brainstorming, creating, launching, or expanding a new business. Jose is also the founder and CEO of Quez Media Marketing, a marketing firm that combines technology and creativity to help new and growing companies get the results they need.