If you've been following my recent blog posts, you may be feeling inspired. You've thought about the things you could reinvent in your life and now you're wondering how on earth you move off square one.This is one of the biggest dilemmas -- "I am ready to reinvent and I don't know what to do!" That lack of clarity is what paralyzes many people and they just can't take the step in the right direction. You need to work on several aspects to get there:
- Find your Passion*
- Make a Plan - 6 month, 12 year, 1 year
- Create the Road Map for how to get there
- Set your Financial goals (if that's relevant)
- Research what you're looking into
- Establish who your Mentors are
- Asses the Skills required
- Find Conferences, Events, Like-minded people you can meet
Be flexible and allow the evolution to occur -- what seemed like a good idea may take on different lives as it grows and you get into it or you learn more. Don't be daunted by the challenges -- see them as learning experiences and go with them!
*FIND YOUR PASSION
1. Keep notes on:
- the things that make you smile in the course of your day
- the things that make your heart sing
- the places you like to go
- the smells and sounds you like
All of these are little signs of the things in life you want to surround yourself with
2. Get magazines of all sorts - flip through them and pull out anything that gets your attention - a headline, a chair, the color of a wall, a favorite shoe, a look, a font style, a profound statement...collect things that excite or interest you and start a file
- Do you see a pattern, similarities - anything that inspires a "maybe I could/should" thought?
- Do it again a few weeks later
- Go to a newsstand and look at all the titles - not just your usual favorites
3. Look in the classified ads - ideas, careers you've never even thought of
4. Create a budget of your life
- What you need - then write it down
- What you want - vacations, college savings, shopping, sushi one time a week
5. Establish the connection between need-want-attain through happiness
6. Believe it, project it, create it, visualize and then detail the process to get there
- The success, the challenges
- The ideas, the tactics
7. Design the exit strategy for your current situations (this is the most exciting feeling - it's liberating and scary all at the same time)
8. Start to envision your future - always have a vision of the future
Set up appointments - even 30 minutes - with yourself to focus on the tasks. Create a task list/agenda for each meeting so you have milestones that you'll reach in your short and long term plan.
Once you have a plan you can break out each section of this and get specific. You'll find that the more detailed you are, the more clarity you'll have to proceed with each piece and figure out how to bridge your entire vision together.
Perhaps you want to start a charity, sell your favorite sweaters that you knit, begin a new health regime, redecorate part of your home to create the optimal living environment.
All of these are reinventions - you're creating the greatest way to live and enhance your experience in all aspects that are important to you. The smallest changes will affect your core being, your level of happiness, your ability to smile on the inside, and thus the outside will SHINE. You have the ability to change and evolve any part of your life and have a tremendous impact.
There may be things you've been wanting to do for years, months...you keep putting them off but they're on your "Bucket List" - it may be to clean out the garage, get a new job, break up from a bad relationship, donate your time...these little things that nag at you are there for a reason but you're not giving them a voice or a place in your life.
Funnily, you do the things that everyone else asks you to do - the boss, your spouse, your kids, even your friends when they need you.
But here you are with your own things to do that YOU want, yet you aren't prioritizing it - right?
So dig deep and think about those things and make those lists. If you had that Sunday, that week, that month or even year of your life to do with it as you wish, as you dream, what would it be?
Make that list!
If we continue to do what we've always done, we'll continue to get what we've always gotten.
Follow me on:
Facebook: Kathi Sharpe-Ross